Thursday, May 19, 2016

Song Devotional - The Scriptural Basis and Theology Behind "It Is Well"

"It Is Well" was written by Kristene DiMarco and released on Bethel Music's album "You Make Me Brave" in 2014.  With obvious ties to the hymn written by Horatio Spafford in 1873, this worship song seeks to deliver a similar message to the believer singing and proclaiming the statement "It is well with my soul."  DiMarco says, "The hymn 'It Is Well With My Soul' is a reminder that our worship of God should not be based on our circumstances, but rather on who God is."

Horatio Spafford's story leading up to 1873, is a tragic one.  (You can hear the entirety by clicking here.)  Within a matter of 3 years, he suffered the loss of all 5 of his children as well as every financial investment he had.  Yet, because of his faith in who God is, he was able to pen the words, "Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul."


Kristene DiMarco's circumstances in 2014 that led to her writing of this song, were less tragic and dramatic (read the full story here.).  She and her husband had just moved to California and had moved in with his parents while beginning the search for their own house.  As they began to worry and fret about finding the right house, DiMarco says that God began to give her the phrase, "the waves and wind still know my name."  She began to think back on the story in Mark 4:35-41 of how Jesus speaks to the storm and it obeys His voice.  The Lord had brought her through many things that were bigger than finding a house, so why would she begin to doubt and question Him now?  If He is faithful to bring her through much bigger things, then He certainly will be faithful in the little things as well.  The wind and waves still know His name!



"Grander earth has quaked before. Moved by the sound of His voice. 
Seas that are shaken and stirred can be calmed and broken for my regard" 

This first verse came from the story of Kristene's and her husband's house hunting.  It's the reminder of how great and powerful our God is.  As we've already discussed, Mark 4:35-41 tells us the story of His power over creation.  He has that power because it's His creation.  Genesis 1 tells us that God simply spoke everything into being.  Yet, even as great and powerful as our God is, He still cares about us and our circumstances.  No matter how big or small they may be, God still cares (Matthew 6:26) and is still in control.

"Through it all, my eyes are on You. 
It is well with me."

Psalm 121:1-2 says, "I lift my eyes to the hills.  Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."  Our Creator is greater than our circumstances. When we keep our eyes on Him, we see Him for who He really is.  When we see Him for who He really is, we see His greatness and sovereignty over our circumstances.  At that point, our response can be "It is well with me!"

"Far be it from me to not believe even when my eyes can't see.  
And this mountain that's in front of me will be thrown into the midst of the sea ."

Our faith is based on Someone we cannot see.  Hebrews 11:1 and 3 says, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible."  When we get our eyes on our circumstances rather than the One who controls them, our belief and our faith can suffer.  Our eyes turn to what we can see.  Our prayer should be that of the believer in Mark 9:24, "I believe!  Help my unbelief!"  When we fix our eyes on Him (Psalm 121:1-2), our faith grows (Matthew 17:20-21) and we realize that our Creator is far greater than the circumstances in front of us.  

"So let go my soul and trust in Him. 
The waves and wind still know His name."

This is our song of surrender!  Our song of trust!  As we've seen and read in Mark 4, Jesus spoke and the wind and waves obeyed.  Our God does not change!  Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever!"  Even today, we can let go and trust in Him.  The wind and waves still know His name!  He is still in control!

"It is well with my soul."

The song ends with one last reminder and declaration that with our eyes fixed on Jesus rather than our own circumstances, we can say "It is well with my soul!"


I close with the quote from the opening paragraph, "The hymn 'It Is Well With My Soul' is a reminder that our worship of God should not be based on our circumstances, but rather who God is."

No comments:

Post a Comment